Penang - Kuala Sepetang

The final part of my trip!!!

Penang

For breakfast, we went to Super Tanker Food Court. It was introduced by my senior when I went to internship in Penang during my WBL. So, I decided to bring my family here as the food here are quite delicious. 


In Super Tanker, there's also a pancake store that my mum wanted to try - Aki's Pancake. This pancake store sells a variety of pancake. There are also some choices of combination that you can never imagine in it. However, it only opens from 6pm. So, in the end, my mum could not try it. There are also a lot of stores that open in the evening. So, that's the best time to go. 

However, there are still some food you can try if you passed by Super Tanker. 

Prawn noodle
I have tried a lot of prawn noodle in Penang but this is the best. 

White Curry Mee and Char Kuey Teow
The Char Kuey Teow here is also the best so far.

After a heavy breakfast (there were still some other things that we ordered), we proceeded to the Snake Temple. I have heard rumours that snakes were everywhere in the temple last time, but I also heard they were caged. So, I came here to find the truth (though they might have previously happened before, it's just that I do not know). 


First, the snakes are not everywhere. In fact, I was finding the snakes until I saw someone observing something. The snake could be found on places where there is something to hang. For example:


And trees. They are uncaged as they are said to be the most tame snake. They will not attack you if don't disturb them. In case you were hoping for a huge snake, here you go:

There's a few of these. They are for "entertaining" visitors
In case you are wondering where the snakes came from. You could find the answer if you explore deeper into the temple. There is a snake breeding area. Right here:

On your right
Can you find the snakes?


I also bought these strawmat wishing bracelet for myself and for souvenirs. Different colours represent different wishes you want it to come true. According to the lady, if the string broke, then your wish is realised.


Later, we went for another food in Pretty Good Cafe. This time for the green nasi lemak that I have been missing so much. 


But, I may have been just missing the wrong thing. It might have been the sweet sambal that I have been missing, but I'll let you be the judge. I have tried their green nasi lemak and the usual nasi lemak during WBL. The usual nasi lemak wasn't that tasty with the sambal but the green nasi lemak with the sambal was. During my recent trip, the green nasi lemak with the sambal that I ate wasn't that tasty either. So, what's tasty? I, myself, am confused.

After this confusing lunch, we officially left Penang for Sepetang. Overall, Penang has good and cheap food compared to KL and Subang Jaya, which I really am appreciate and will definitely come back for more food and trips.


Kuala Sepetang

Kuala Sepetang is famous for its Charcoal Factory and mangrove trees. We, first, arrived at the Charcoal Factory, where everything here is covered with black charcoal and charcoal fragrance. 

All is charcoal factory
Accoding to the people here, this place is originally belonged to the Japanese, especially during that 3 years of invasion. During that time, they taught us the technology of creating charcoal, thus now being able to produce the best charcoal in Asia. The charcoal here is so good that about 60% of them are exported to Japan. 

The charcoal kiln
Charcoal is burnt using mangrove trees aged 30 years and above. And they are arranged in vertical in the 7m height and 6.5m width kiln, like below:


There are about 1500 pieces of logs which is equivalent to about 50 tonnes, of which 80% constitutes of sea water. It takes about 2 days to arrange the logs as they are all hand-carried by this man.


The burning of charcoal is separated to 3 stages. The first stage of burning takes 10 days at 85 degree C. At this stage, the opening of the kiln is the biggest.

The first stage
For the second stage, the opening is closed further which increased the temperature to about 230 degree C for about 2 weeks. 

Second stage
At stage 3, it is the cooling period and the opening is closed completely for about a week. 

Third stage
When the process is done, the opening is broken open and a beautiful charcoal is formed. The original 50 tonnes logs are now reduced to 10 tonnes charcoal (evapouration of sea water).

The shinning inner
What happens to the byproduct aka vapour? They are collected into the blue box as follow. Nothing is wasted.



The vapour is sold for use as an insect repellent and to cure skin diseases. Charcoal and the vapour are sold there too. 


Before I leave for another places, one last picture of this place.


Right in front of this factory, there is an uncle with his van, selling Chinese New Year's biscuits, Tau Sar Pneah and other biscuits. They are all homemade by him. There are some products that are quite delicious that I think is worth the buy.

His products
Next, we went for a walk near the town, which is famous for its seafood. We dropped by in this restaurant with a signature eagle.


The reason I choose this restaurant is, first, because of the eagle and second, the restaurant is on the upper floor. I can get a perfect view of this area. There are a few eagles and seagulls flying here and there.

The jetty view
We weren't hungry but we did order some food just for tasting. The food were nothing of surprise. 

Next, we went on to the Matang Mangrove Eco-educational Centre. Matang Mangrove Forest has a vast mangrove resources with abundant of wildlife. It is said to be the best managed mangrove forest in the world. To enter, you need to pay for a parking fee (if you drove a car) and entrance fee. What can you do here?

Basically, you walk along the boardwalk and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the mangrove trees. If you are lucky, you will be able to see woodpecker and monkey (those are what I saw). 

Boardwalk
Look at the amazing tree roots. It represents their will to live, a skill develop to survive in a harsh environment.



The picture below is the oldest and largest mangrove tree (65 years old) in this place. However, it was chopped off due to severe damaged caused by lightning struck in 2012. It is of Rhizophora apiculata species. 


Matang Mangrove Eco-educational Centre also provides chalets, dorms and camping areas for you to enjoy the wonder of the nature. 

I recommend that you go here before you go to the charcoal factory as if you have any questions, you can direct them to the people in the factory. There seems to be no guide in this educational centre. 

We also went for a river cruise. They provide this cruise almost every place I went in Kuala Sepetang. This river cruise includes eagle sighting, dolphin and firefly sighting and sunset (if you go at the right time). It costs RM 70 per boat (it seems that the pricing could be different) and if you have more than 7 people, it's RM 10 per person. 

Our boat
Bridge that connects the 2 islands
Apparently the boats are labelled A, B, C, S,... It is labelled to identify what boat catches what products.

We were able to see some of the lovely beings.
I wonder if you are able to see them
Island fully made of sea shells
Eagle sightings
More eagles
The ride took about 45 minutes to an hour. It didn't feel long. With regards to the dolphin, first, you have to come at the right time and second, it depends on your luck. Looks like we were out of luck that day.

With the river cruise and a stop at Ipoh for chicken rice, our short trip ended. Although it was short, we were able to go to as many places as we could. I, especially, like the last day as I was able to learn a lot and able to see lots of birds. I love birds. I love how they could fly, but I'm wondering about the freedom of the birds in Kuala Sepetang. 

I totally recommend these places that I have been to as they are cheap and affordable, especially if you are a student (Malaysian) as you could take advantage of the student price ticket. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quitting ICAEW (Not official)

Internship Experience in Ryokan (旅館 - Japanese-styled Hotel)

Internship Experience in Ryoutei (料亭)